|Food Authenticity Program|
Food integrity: A growing problem
The solution: Genetic ID’s new Food Authenticity Program
Food fraud is a critical issue in all parts of the increasingly complex global supply chain. Recent studies in Europe and North America found that up to 25% of seafood products are mislabeled. Worldwide, the counterfeit food industry is worth about $49 billion a year.
Questions every food company now needs to ask include:
- Are our hamburgers really made from 100% pure beef?
- Is our 100% fresh squeezed Florida orange juice adulterated with sugar or water?
- Is the olive oil I’m importing really from Tuscany? Is it olive oil at all?
- Is that really Atlantic cod on our shelves – or some other protected fish from a different address?
- Is the asparagus we paid a premium for really organic?
The answers to these questions can have far-reaching consequences. The discovery of food fraud can lead to costly product recalls or litigation, not to mention loss of consumer trust and brand damage.