Soya was one of the first plants to be genetically modified. GM RoundUp Ready® soy was introduced onto the world market in 1996. Today, RoundUp Ready® soy (MON40-3-2) makes up over 70% of all commercialized GMOs worldwide.
Applications for approval of various GM soy varieties have been submitted to the EU authorities, so the number of EU-approved varieties is expected to increase over the coming years.
Main use of crop:
- Soy meal as an ingredient in animal feed
- Soy protein products for feed and food
- Tofu and related products
- Soy sauce
- Soy milk
- Soy lecithins in various formulations for the food industry
- Herbicide resistance
- Altered fatty acid composition
- Insect resistance